OLD WOMAN SPRINGS RANCH TOUR
Morongo Basin Historical Society
Springs has appeared on maps since 1857 following a surveying party's
several elderly Indian women living at the springs, thus the name Old Woman Springs.
Old Woman Springs became the winter headquarters for the Heart Bar Ranch located in Big Meadows,
south of Big Bear Lake. The Heart Bar cattle brand was first recorded by the county in 1884.
In 1907, Albert Swarthout homesteaded Old Woman Springs. Old Woman Springs Ranch is located
on Highway 247 between Johnson and Lucerne Valleys.
We had a
terrific tour!! Over 60 members and guests attended the MBHS tour
on April 7th
hosted by OWSR's Bob Humphrey. Bob Humphrey and Dale Noel gave us some great history
on the ranch. Thanks Bob, Dale, Lloyd, Carol, Laurie and all those who helped to make this a
terrific MBHS event!!! A special Thanks! goes to Martha Wood Coutant, author of
"Heart Bar Ranch" who was present and signed copies of her book for purchasers.
After the tour of OWSR, several in attendance continued on to Rock Corral, of Willy Boy fame.
Holcomb Chapter 1069 of E Clampus Vitus (Clampers) will be erecting a historical
monument at the
Old Woman Springs Ranch on October 8, 9 & 10, 2004. Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 has erected over
113 monuments roadside throughout San Bernardino and Riverside Counties.
on image to enlarge:
Photos by Les Long: